Tuesday, August 12, 2008

lady in the trees



I am finding a lot of things that I like about acrylics. Unlike gouache, I can paint layers without the paint cracking when it dries. Unlike oils, I don't have to wait for days for it to dry. Of course, unlike gouache, the colors aren't as opaque. And unlike oils, I have to mix the colors much more quickly. Getting a stay-wet palette yesterday was a huge renovation, however, so that is awesome.

When I painted the first one, the one on the left, I was thinking I had come upon a new style that was completely my own and going to be awesome. I'm a flighty idealist, and quickly saw where most of the influence was coming from. The nude on the right is from a drawing I did at the Society of Illustrators, of this fantastic amazing model with a heart-shaped face and an enormous gray/white/black wig. I loved that pose, and have been trying to figure out how to make it into something else. This painting is not as successful as I had hoped. Something about it bothers me...perhaps it's a bit boring? Also, the trees aren't really clearly trees, they're weird circle lollipops until you sit the canvas down next to the one with the swing. I'm not sure how to fix that.

No comments: