Sunday, August 16, 2009

Painting vs Illustration


Donna and Herman Start a Puzzle, acrylic on wood panel, 9x12".

I'm very pleased with how this one turned out. I have this idea of several paintings where children have unusual pets. (It's mostly because I myself am constantly wanting to take all the animals from the zoo home with me.) So first I had Joan in the Kitchen with her pet bear, and now I have Donna with her pet giraffe, Herman.

What is it that makes something an Illustration? This painting feels like an illustration, and I'm not totally sure why. Perhaps it's the fact that it's a complete scene, instead of just a character and a plain background, like so much of what I've been doing lately. I could see it in a children's book. It's not a bad thing, per se, but it's not what I was going for. What is the difference between Fine Art and an Illustration? Obviously, what an illustrator creates is art, in itself, but still. Why do some creations get called "illustrations" while others are just "artwork" or "paintings"?

2 comments:

VH McKenzie said...

I struggle with this same question...........Like your work very much! Picked up your card at the Renegade Art Fair in Brooklyn.

melanie said...

I am so glad to hear I'm not alone with this!